Travelling from Mumbai to Goa by road takes approximately 12 hours of time. The road distance from Mumbai to Goa is roughly 579 km (360 miles).
There are several ways that this road travel can be undertaken.
- If you are a group of friends or a family travelling together to Goa for a holiday, you could probably rent a car and with driver if required. Having your own vehicle will allow you the luxury of taking stops at any of the Dhabas you encounter along the way, and you can enjoy a lot more since it will only be your own group who is travelling together.
- Or you could also choose to travel to Goa by bus. There are several private fleets of buses that ply daily between Mumbai and Goa. You can have the options to choose between Non-AC, AC, Volvo buses depending on your budget and convenience. Most of these buses leave Mumbai at night, picking up passengers from most parts of Mumbai and Navi Mumbai and these buses reach Goa the next morning or afternoon depending on the departure time.
- If you are the more adventures type of person, you could even choose to drive a bike (motorcycle) with your friends, though it can be quite dangerous, and is not generally advisable.
- The NH4 highway route is generally considered more safer, though it takes quite a longer time to reach Goa by this route, which will first take you from Mumbai to Pune via expressway and then will go further on to Satara, Karad and then to Kolhapur from where you can go further on to Goa. The road distance via this highway will be approximately 77 kms more than the more direct NH4 highway route.
- The NH17 national highway directly links Mumbai and Goa and passes through Panvel, Mahad, Khed, Chiplun, Hatkhamba (near Ratnagiri) and Rajapur en-route to Panaji (Panjim) and then Margao (Madgaon) in Goa. Most direct buses of private fleets that ply from Mumbai to Goa take this route, and they cover this distance in approximately 12 hours.
Whatever the way you choose to travel, once you get away from the crowds and hustle-bustle of Mumbai city, and reach Goa, you can find real peace of mind, enjoy the sun and the beautiful goa beaches, stay at some nice comfortable hotel or beach resort in goa, and in general will get the chance to unwind and have loads of fun. Goa is a fantastic place for holidaying. Enjoy!.